This week has been a busy one! We’re working on big negotiations and we’re all full of expectations and tired of waiting. Our customers guaranteed we will succeed and obtain the contracts, but we’re still in the middle of the process, so it’s all about anxiety over the office. After all, I’m working in hard conditions of cash flow, so I so much effort to get it all done!
After all of this, when I got home I decided to try something different. I always wanted to learn how to knit. So time ago, I posted a link with some tutorials. I watched it, looked for another ones on the internet and, tha-da! I did this horrible stitches! But I must confess I’m proud!
Now, all I need to do is relax and prepare for the weekend!
I realize that is a dismissal one of the most complex task for those who hold a position of leadership. The feeling of depriving someone of their livelihood it’s always very uncomfortable, especially when it comes to someone with whom we live more closely, this nuisance can become a big deal. So I’d like to give you some tips that might help you in these hours.
- Think before taking action. It’s important you know exactly the reason why you are taking this decision. In most cases, the employee causes his own dismissal, either for lack of interest and commitment or simply because he doesn’t fit the profile of the team. Try to discern the reasons to make you to feel secure about your decision. Make yourself the resignation, if the you’re the employee's direct superior. Do not delegate to HR.
- Prepare what you’ll say. Think about what you mean before you say it, and look for a quiet place without interruption or spectators to deliver the notice, a meeting room, for example. When you invite him to talk, be serious, do not use tone of funeral or joke like "I have bad news." Go straight to the point and express sincerely the reasons why the dismissal happened. Make it clear whether it is a cost-cutting or professional flaws. Speak a little about these failures so that person will have the opportunity to avoid mistakes in the future.
- Try not to commit excesses. Do not praise too much, apologize or become emotional. These expressions of hesitation and uncertainty only feed the idea that the resigned was wrong and unfair. Try to not be rude or indifferent, treat him as you would like to be treated in such a situation, after all, it’s a big thing.
- If it’s possible, avoid working notice. Do you know someone whose productivity has improved after the information of a layoff? Only in those cases when the person has hope of keeping his job, and when this occurs, the motivation is usually temporary and soon the problems of the past will recur. So if you can avoid the worked notice, make the selection of a new professional for the position and schedule his first work day to be the early days following the departure of the previous occupant.
- Be ready. After the announcement of the resignation each person reacts differently. Some remain professional, and simply accept the information. Others, however, cry, curse, complain, justify themselves, they try to recover their work by promises. So act quiet, let him speak, however, does not commit the mistake of making promises of reinstatement or replacement that you cannot keep.
- Extreme cases. If occurs physical or verbal aggressions, you better refrain. Do not react. Notify security or police.
- Never do it by phone. After all, you hired him looking into his eyes, don’t you?
I was researching about clothes to weat at work and find a new shirt brand, here in Brazil. They use to do only male shirts, but this summer they lunched the first female collection and I felt in love with it! The name is Dudalina, by the way!
After a week of hard work, very long meetings and a huge list of things to do next week, the weekend was the break I needed. I think that anyone who has a work rate intense, need to make proper clearances. Avoid to bring work to home, or thinking about it! I confess that was not easy to put this idea in my head, but anyway, I'm getting used to.
I've been working so much. The result of hard working is a promotion, what means more work and experience that led me to a reflection. I thought about what I really want in my life, what really matters.
I noticed that many times, we live a life without being sure of who we are. Not in that order to "uncover yourselfe", philosophically speaking (or in a corny way either). We take life without noticing what makes us happy, what gives us comfort, the bad habits which must be abandoned, who are the best companies.
The workflow of events lead us to somewhere, far away from the ideal. And so, as by epiphany, I realized some serious things in my life that probably serve to yours.
The first is that, inevitably, we are what we live. The truth is we are not able to be totally authentic and different from people with whom we live. I'm sure you've heard about selecting your companies, choose people more cheerful, interesting, attractive to be around. Well, if like me you thought it was crap, you may reconsider.
At the same time, and I know how much that is contradictory, I realized that who we are, we always will be, deep inside. No matter how much you dislike certain characteristics, it won’t change it (not all of them). I am a business woman. As much as I have repeated a thousand times I'm tired, I want to get away from the business world and play with art and fashion, the reality is that the pressure and adrenaline of the corporate world are my life.
After doing all these thoughts a asked myself what's the point of trying to maintain a blog that does not reflect, really, what I really live? Why should I try to keep a sort of magazine that I can not even get inspired enough to post? Or even try to copy other blogs that I admire? One of my favorite bands, Dream Theater, sings "what we have is what we are", it’s better be sincere.
So, if you like the fashion and design posts or the beauty products, they will not disappear. But if you've always been curious to know what is like be a young woman, director of a group of companies predominantly male, and a housewife after all, I think now we are together.